Saturday, June 28, 2008

2a Bodega Bay




Contains a brief paragraph how it connects to your study of humanities.: Bodega Bay is where I grew up, and I feel this is a place that has contributed to my understanding of my own culture. Since the overarching concept of this class is to understand culture, no culture is more important to me than my own. I also live very close to this place and go there quite often.


Observation: What did you choose? What do you see or hear or feel or think of in the choice you made? What is the subject of the work? If you chose a 'thing' what is the work made of and what techniques (colors, lines, shapes, textures) does the creator use? Be specific in your description. If you chose a place, be specific in your description of what you see or hear. Talk to your reader as though they cannot see the item but somehow must draw a painting of what you see or hear. 1 point : I chose a place “Bodega Bay”. When I think of this place I think mainly of the beaches and the beautiful coastline. I can also hear the ocean waves rush up to the coastline and wash away the sand. When I first stepped foot on the beach, I could hear the sound of seagulls in the distance. That sound combined with the sound of the waves and kids created the tantalizing feeling of fun. The sand through my feet felt warm. In the distance you can see the waves crashing ashore. The beach is always crowded during the summer time so the sounds of chatter and laughter feel the sea breezed air.


Interpretation: What is your choice about? Give specific examples to support this statement in 2 sentences; do so in a way that teaches us something about your choice. Make Paulo Freire proud! .75 point: My choice is about proving that as crazy as things can get, nature can always relax you. In our culture today time seems to fly by, but if you take a second and watch the waves you might find yourself lost in the beauty. Culture has as much to do with painting and such, as it does on how people simply take time off.


Judgment: What led you to your choice? What do you think or feel about this choice? Why do you feel this way? Support your thoughts with specific observations. .5 point: I was led to this choice by examining something that was important in my culture. I feel this place was a good choice to visit because it is someplace I have visited a lot and never really viewed in a cultural perspective. I never noticed how quickly the landscaped changed throughout my life. I also noticed music is always playing in some form or another. That music mixes with the natural sounds of the beach to create the beautiful sound of culture in Bodega Bay.


Questioning: What else would you like to know about this choice? When completing the question section, lead your audience into the question by stating a fact you do know, yet you still have the related question. This way, both your audience and you will have an educational experience: I know Bodega was founded in 1775, by Juan Francisco de la Bodega, however he left soon after this areas discovery. My question would be why did he never return?



5. Using your classmates work from last week, tell us one thing you learned from 1 student. Is this one thing some common experience you share or some experience that is completely different than what you experienced? Is this one thing related to our class theoretical foundation and if so, how? Is that one thing related to historical or cultural context of this country or a different one? Link that persons blog to this entry (http://granizo599.blogspot.com/2008/06/lucia-is-biochemistry-major-who-is.html) . .5 point

I learned that Ryan loves baseball. This is something i have in common woth him. Baseball is a part of american culture so i assume it would be related to this class.

No comments: